Marshall,

Thanks for the torque specs, my torque wrench is ready and waiting.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marshall Booth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Transmission Fluid

 > Hello all,

How much transmission fluid do I need to change the transmission fluid in my
1985 300SD, I'm going to drain the converter too.  Also any tips would be
appreciated.

Thanks
Mike Piles

Be sure not to overtighten the bolts that attach the pan to the
transmission. That's a VERY common mistake and can damage the gasket or
pan and sometimes require that they need be replaced. If tightened too
much the pan WILL distort and that can cause fluid to leak. You can also
CUT the gasket and transmission damage is likely (do NOT ask how I know
this).

Torque on the pan bolts is 7 Nm (that's only 5.2 lb-ft). If the pan is
not distorted that's all the pressure it takes to seal the pan. More is
NOT better.

The drain plugs (pan and torque converter) have a 14 Nm value (that's
only about 10.4 lb-ft).

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.