the only thing I would change is after you put in the first 4 quarts with engine off, start it and leave engine running for the remander.

Dennis Perkins wrote:

Here is some tips from the archives,

TIPS ON CHANGING TRANSMISSION FLUID

Mickey, The BIGGEST problem is getting the torque converter drain plug into position! Once you have it lined up - PUT a paint mark on the crank damper so you can easily find it NEXT time!! Then a 5 mm hex (allen) to remove the plug and the fluid runs out. Replace the plug with a new washer (comes with the filter) and torque to - DUH - no manuals to look it up - I think it's about 20 ft-lbs, but CHECK IT! To refill - put 3-4 qts. of fluid into the transmission, start the engine and allow to run for a minute or so (run through the gears) to fill the torque converter, then shut down and add all but the last 1/2 qt of fluid. Then go for a 20-minute drive. When the fluid is HOT (after 15-20 minutes of driving) the level should be at the MAX mark - LOW and MAX marks are about 300 ml (a little more then 1/2 pt) apart. Add fluid 'til it near or at the MAX mark - DO NOT OVER FILL! With your transmissi0on the fluid should be about 10mm below the LOW/ADD mark when cold, but it's the warm/hot level that important.

Dennis Perkins

84 300SD

Hello all,

How much transmission fluid do I need to change the transmission fluid in my 1985 300SD, I'm going to drain the converter too. Also any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike Piles