We have an '04 Focus, mostly trouble free so far at 110K miles.  Had to
charge the AC last week, and we did have one problem with the
transmission, at right around 100K miles, it would not shift properly
unless you disabled overdrive (pushbutton on the shifter).  Turned out
to be a stuck valve, the repair was not expensive and that was at the
dealer.  I had probably let the fluid go to long without changing.

I think the current generation Focus is a new revision of the chassis,
but I'd buy another one (used, most likely, though if you've got the
money you can probably get a deal on a new one these days).  Maybe get
one with a manual trans if you like 'em.

One other issue, the alloy wheels seem a little weak, prone to bending
if you hit anything too hard.

Allan

Zoltan Finks <mmmmmsuchpo...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> Below, I'm pasting in what I wrote in the thread about our 190D starting to
> burn oil.
>
> I'm hoping to get any input on newer, and the new Ford Focus.
>
> We have had a 96 or so Civic and wonder how the new ones are too.
>
> But price-wise we would probably not buy a new Civic.
>
> Any experience with the Focus among the group?
>
> Or any other suggestions for a newer compact with good fuel mileage?
>
> Brian
>
> We have been looking at Civics, and lusting after a new Insight.
>
> Now we got advice to look into a new Ford Focus - especially in the current
> auto market.
>
> Of course, I also was thinking about fixing the engine and keeping the 190,
> because we love it and already own it. And it's a classic (in my mind) and
> drives and handles great and is more classy and unique than some run of the
> mill newer car.

1983 300D