So Fluke is still the best, just at it was years ago? Ordering one tonight.

So far as I know.  I can't imagine a better one, anyway.
Now, whether or not it's the best _value_ I couldn't say.

I have an 83 that I bought brand new, and still it's my
main meter.  I bought two 87's used since then, but I find
that I actually prefer the larger display of the 83 and
the way its analog bargraph works to the 87.  But the 87
has true RMS and optional higher resolution, and a back-
light.  (And a lesser battery life.)  Brand-new 87's may
have changed this a bit, but I don't think the bargraph
has changed.  (In the 83 it's a moving bar, like an LED
VU meter, representing the entire display value whereas
in the 87 it's a moving segment representing the second
digit or something like that.  More sensitive, but less
intuitive IMHO.)  Perhaps it's now mode-selectable?  They've
revamped the 80 series several times since it came out.

One thing is for sure, the 83 kicks the cookies out of
the $3 Harbor Freight in-car meters in quality of construction
and speed of reading.  The HF meters chunk along at about
one conversion per second, whereas the Flukes are something
like 10x that.  I had a HF meter melt in the boat before
it ever got used, had to toss it.

-- Jim