Since the Fluke will mainly be used for voltage, amperage, and resistance the more specialized functions won't really be needed. Accuracy is the main requirement. Think I'll look around for an 83. Thanks again, Jim.

I believe they're all equally accurate, so far as working
on cars is concerned.  I'm not sure that newer series' display
sizes match the original series, which is what I have, so if
that's important to you check that carefully.  There are times
that the backlight of the 87 would be nice to have, bigger
digits don't help in the dark.

Honestly I think you'd probably be happy with _any_ 80-series
Fluke that you ended up with, provided it wasn't broken.  I am.
I was trying to high-grade the 83 with the 87, but only after
having both was I able to find that I still preferred the 83
fractionally for most of my uses.  I only bought the 83 in the
first place because it was cheaper, I couldn't justify the
true-RMS feature which added something like $100 to the price.

The 87 has a faster conversion time, which can be a factor
in certain types of pulsed signal measurements such as when
I was working on the boat ignition.  (Which I'm just about
to start doing again, boating season being upon us and all.)

My only real complaint about the Flukes is the cost of the
ammeter fuses.  They're more than a Harbor Freight DMM!
So be careful when measuring current.

Meter leads don't last forever, btw.  They're well out
in harm's way.

-- Jim