Alex Chamberlain wrote:
On 10/12/05, Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

PS steering pump failures requiring replacements are quite rare. I can
only find 3 or 4 references to replacing one in the more than half
million problem reports I can access. I've NEVER had one fail myself.
Are you SURE it's not a serp belt tensioner, lever, shock or idler
problem or even the inside of the high pressure line collapsing (much
more common than bad pump)?

Serpentine belt tensioner, lever, shock, and idler were recently
replaced... but now I wonder if something was done wrong that affected
the PS pump somehow?

How would I know if the high pressure line was collapsing?  It looks
normal, although I note that there is a visible coating of oil on the
outside of both the high and low pressure lines within six inches or
so of the pump.  Can't tell whether it is coming from somewhere else
or seeping through from inside.

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo

The oil around the PS reservoir usually is leakage from the the reservoir. After about 15 years the low pressure line may start to leak where it's clamped. That can usually be corrected at least temporarily by cutting off several inches of the line (if there is that much spare line). Start by cleaning the engine compartment - then once clean, determine where any leakage is coming from (before weather gets cold ;-).

I know of no way to check the high pressure line except to disconnect it and see that it's unobstructed. I'm told by really experienced wrenches that high pressure lines can delaminate and collapse in on themselves if the line is pinched or twisted in an accident. There is USUALLY no outward appearance to indicate the line has delaminated. Same problem that exists with the flex brake lines. If it's bad, it's best to use a factory line (or at least NOT try to fabricate your own).

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)