The Cadillac could be nice, it just depends on what is wrong with it.
The 1985 model year was the last year for all Oldsmobile diesel engines
and like all last years included all refinements and improvements that
were available. The Olds diesels were pretty fuel efficient and while
having some problems when brand new, now pretty much everything wrong
with it can be fairly easily fixed.

If you buy the vehicle, check for a head gasket leak first and foremost.
The biggest problem in the Olds diesel community was head gasket leaks
due to failed head bolts.  The 4.3L V6 engines were not as prone to head
gasket failures as the 5.7L but it did happen.  The biggest problem is
that the head bolts come in two sizes, 14mm and 10mm.  There are
aftermarket bolts and studs available for the 10mm bolts but nothing for
the 14mm.  If you have to change the head gasket then you will have to
use OEM 14mm bolts and since they are Torque to Yield fasteners they are
one use only.

The second most common failure mode for Olds diesels involves the
Standadyne DB2 IP and the plastic weight governing ring.  This ring
controls IP timing and is plastic and eventually gets brittle and
shatters.  Symptoms can be several things including fuel starvation from
the pieces blocking the fuel ports to sometimes destructively advancing
the timing.  If the engine is running, obviously this hasn't happened
yet.  You can buy a stainless steel ring that installs without removing
the pump from the engine and it solves this issue quite nicely.

By 85, this shouldn't be a problem but at $22, it is cheap insurance to
install a billet oil pump shaft since sometimes the older oil pump shaft
could round off and no longer engage with predictable consequences.
There is a company that sells high performance Oldsmobile accessories
and some of the external accessories from Oldsmobile gasoline engines
are compatible with the diesel engines.  http://www.mondellotwister.com/

The 4.3L V6 is only rated at 85HP but most Old diesel people say that is
conservative since many people with the smaller lighter cars have barked
the tires with one.  The poppet injectors have a lower pressure rating
then the 5.7L injectors but they are identical otherwise.  There is a
replacement spring for the injectors that will raise opening pressure to
1500PSI which will greatly increase performance.  If you add a true dual
exhaust then you could see some decent performance increase since the
stock exhaust is pretty anemic even by gasoline standards.  There is a
EGR block off plate that will fit the internal EGR ports in the heads,
but modifying emission systems in technically illegal.  If you did it
for off-road/private property use then you could see considerable
improvement from the reports.  The combination of ULSD fuel as well as
greater engine efficiency should put your emissions profile better then
when it shipped from the factory.

The best source even though the message board is not nearly as nice as
okibenz or the website layed out as well is http://www.olds-diesel.com

Todd Smith <who owned a 1981 5.7L truck who wishes that he had it back>