I noticed something similar with a 115 300D I used to have.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Howdy -
I'm afraid I don't get a chance to read many posts lately - I'm sure I'm missing all kinds of great discussions!

I have a question. When I rebuilt my 78 240D engine several years ago I installed the IP and turned it so the engine would start/run without smoking. Now, it starts instantly (within 1st 1/2 RPM, regardless of temp.) runs and idles like it should and gets around 22mpg. I never timed it using the accepted method - the one in the manual.. I remember a alternate method where the #1 injector line is removed and the injector dried out, then the engine turned until fuel starst to fill the tube - but that as far as my memory takes me. Can someone provide the full IP timing method??

Next, what happens (other than smoking) when the IP is out of time? Probably harder to start - how about performance?

The reason for this long-winded questions - my 240D does something odd when stopped at a light for example. It doesn;t happen all the time, but once in a while, when the light turns green and I step on the gas, it'll take off like a scalded cat! It runs of of steam at about 15 or 20 mph, but that 1st burst of speed is *very* welcome. Maybe it's getting a better squirt of fuel? Or a bigger blast of air? I was thinking maybe I have the IP timed wrong and am losing a bunch of power?

Any suggestions??

Thanks!!
Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB)