>From what I've seen thats a screaming deal, Nighthawks are usually in the
>$1000 range for the 250cc...

-Curt

Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 12:33:14 -0700
From: Alex Chamberlain <apchamberl...@gmail.com>
Subject: [MBZ] OT for motorcycle guys: cheap '83 Honda Nighthawk CB650
    questions
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Kind of half-seriously shopping for a good beginner's bike and these
seem to have a really devoted following.  Saw this ad on Portland CL
which sounds almost too good to be true:
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/1248049633.html

Sounds like as long as you could deal with the broken Harbor Freight
easy-out that the guy tried to use on the stripped valve cover bolt,
the bike would be just about perfect. (He broke off another bolt in
the valve cover, but hopefully once the one with the bad head is
removed along with all the other bolts, the valve cover would come off
and the broken bolt would be accessible.)  I'm thinking there are
three, maybe four possible outcomes:

1. Remove the remains of the easy-out and the bolt with the
appropriate carbide drill bit, diamond burr in a die grinder or
Dremel, or some such.  Problem solved.
2. Drill out the easy-out, the threads, etc. and put in a heli-coil or
retap for a larger bolt.  Problem solved.
3. If #1 or #2 doesn't work, remove the next larger assembly (the
head?) with valve cover still attached, and pay a machine shop to deal
with it.  Can the head on these bikes be removed with the engine in
place?
4. If necessary, remove the engine and farm out the work as in #2, but
now it's probably crossing the line into too big a project to be worth
it.

Any thoughts?  (Curt, this sounds like your area of expertise...)

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo et al.