What he said.  And as stupid as it may look, give serious consideration to
wearing a reflective vest when riding at night, especially on rural roads.  You
can never make yourself too visible to other drivers/riders.

I think the best investment safety-wise I ever made on my bike was installing a
headlight modulator.  You can tell from the reaction of onlookers that they
notice you right away - especially people coming out from side streets, which
is one of the most common ways MC riders get whacked - people pull out in front
of them, even though their headlight is on.

And don't worry about the "small bike - big bike" issue.  I went straight from
the 250cc on the range in my motorcycle training class to my 1100cc Yamaha, and
had no problems.  I can say that the first 500-1000 miles were scary at times,
but once you're confident with your bike and what it can/can't do, you'll be
fine.

Just ride like you've got a bullseye on your back, stay within the speed limit,
and give yourself plenty of space and you won't have any problems.

Dan