Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 12:24:32 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
From: Robert Bigham <edward_baldh...@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Will the real expert on oiling system of Engine 102
    please stand up? Time lag
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com

Hello Wilton; I'm baaaaack !

It
seems that from a stone cold overnight wait, it's about 5 seconds from
the time the engine starts until oil pressure is shown on the dash
gauge.   During that time the engine makes little metallic tapping and
clicking noises.

>From a 1 hr rest period and a semi-warm
restart, it's more like 1 second from the time the engine starts until
oil pressure is shown on the dash gauge.

I haven't had an
opportunity to restart after a real road trip and a rest, but I can
tell you it's slow, and the engine makes larger metallic tapping and
clicking noises, which some have dismissed as "timing chain rattle," or
something like that, until the dash gauge indicates oil
pressure.   These noises are big enough that my son the race engine
builder was impressed by the noises.

I'm sure there can't be a
whole lot wrong, because I can cruise at 80 mph all day (I don't like
to drive a whole lot faster than that).  I have almost no noticeable
oil consumption.  I have driven the car at indicated 105 mph and it had
some left.  Total indicated mileage 155, 7xx miles.  Mileage driven by
me 31,000 so far.

Thanks for your interest.  I'll be interested to see what you think.