Hello,
I have a 722.1 AT in my 78 240D which uses a control rod (and not vacuum controlled). While looking around I noticed the tranny end of the rod does not seem to have any kind of bushing where it attaches to the AT. There's just a round fitting with a metal pin thru it secured by what appears to be a cotter pin. My Picture Parts Catalogue doesn't show anything at the AT end. The IP end has a socket which snaps onto a ball joint - and that's not a very snug fit - but the socket fitting looks to be brazed to the rod so replacing it means replacing the whole assembly.

Any suggestions? Should I buy a whole new control rod assy? Or maybe it's supposed to fit really loosely?

TIA -

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 78 240D)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net