apple says expandable to 2gb.  there are 2 slots.  their recommendation is
to replace the 2 512mb sticks with 2 1gb sticks.  however, there are 2gb
sticks in that size in existence today.  my guess would be that there were
only 1gb sticks at the time the machine was first designed or marketed so
apple only tested the machine with those.  i am sure some of our mac guys
here know the answer though.

the chipset can address up to 4gb, but that is total and not just ram.  in
reality, people are saying that it will be able to use 3.1 to 3.3gb of ram.
2gb sticks are MUCH more expensive than 1 gb stick.

in the end i compromised and got 1 2gb and 1 1gb stick from some local
indian guys who drop ships the stuff.  i guess i just have a soft spot for
local guys who drop ship stuff for some reason.  i can also generally beat
them out of cheap or free installation, but these guys didn't bite on that,
encouraging me to check on youtube if i need help.  oh well!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320337743477

this is my second mac mini.  my first was an original g4 1.25 ghz.  it cost
$120 to upgrade that to 1gb ram, so i guess this is a hell of a bargain.

i figure i'll keep 2GB for the OS X main system and then give the virtual
box 1gb for linux and xp.  i thought about dumping the 80gb HD while i was
in there, but i'm only using that for programs as all my data is being kept
on the external WD passport drives and i just keep stuff for projects on one
of the many pendrives that are mounted.  32gb pen drives are now under 60
bucks retail and even cheaper if you have the time to get them straight from
hong kong on ebay.  you can get the same stuff you pay big money for at
radio shack straight from hong kong with free shipping for roughly 5 to 20%
of retail.