Alex Chamberlain wrote:
My heater fan is suddenly squeaking something awful, all the time,
regardless of speed.  I'm going to tear in and replace it this week
before I go crazy from the sound.  I would try to lube it, or maybe
put in a used one, but I know from experience with the wiper assembly
(which has to come out on a 124 to get to the blower) that I don't
want to have to do this job more than once.  Rusty's web site shows
both Behr and ACM motor/fan assemblies.  I've never heard of ACM, but
it's half the price of the Behr unit.  Comments?

ACM is NOW a Mercedes supplier (but wasn't in the '80s) of original equipment parts. I have used several ACM aux. fans with NO problems and other have reported that the blowers are fine. Some modification to the blower mounts MAY be necessary (but that can be true with SOME Bosch blower motors too).

IF there is little or no play in the motor bushings, then lubrication with ATF can restore function - sometimes for years! Several of mine have lasted for more than 5 years without return of the noises. If there is considerable play in the bushing (if it has worn and become egg shaped) then replace the motor. Check that the fan brushes are not seriously worn (that has NEVER been a problem for me with 124/201 blower brushes).

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi