From: "LarryT" <l02tur...@comcast.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2009 5:49:06 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [MBZ] O/T Concrete Mixer Trivia

Speaking of concrete -
I was working on a new Texaco refinery in Port Arther, Tex - a concrete
mixer got stuck in the mud and couldn't get out - or be dragged out - before
the load hardened. Stuff happens - when they get back I assume they [pay
someone to chip it out. They can buy a lot of help at min wage before
paying for a new mixing drum.

This was the same site that had an existing refinery next door. The Pres or
VP of Tesaco was coming for a visit so they repainted the logo on one of the
large holding tanks - they were usually a few hundred feet across 30 feet
tall and had a floating roof. Someone forgot to check the valved air pipe -
to allow air into the tank as whatever ws stored inside was pumped out.
Without the air vent open a vacuum was created and sucked the side of the
tank in - right across the logo. Naturally ;-)

That facility also had a major explosion & fire during a maintanence outage.
Parts of the operating plant were inoperative so repairs could be made.
Unfortunately, while welding there was a hydrogen leak nearby and a huge
explosion occurred. 5 or 6 died and a dozen + were badly burned. Those
with severe injuries were med-flighted to a burn hospital in Houston.
Houston has some of the best hospitals in the country.

That was in the mid 70s. I was in a trailer adjacent to the plant which
exploded - seperated by several retaining ponds - felt like a minor
earhquake!

HR 45 would require any person owning a firearm to obtain a federal
firearms license. To apply for this license, you must provide a
thumb-print & medical records. Ask your Reps to Vote Against HR45!
,