I wonder why Stu would say in his own post that he did a google search and got the info from another list. If it came from his list as you say, why would he say he got it from another list? I am sure the subject has been discussed on other lists as well, but the info Stu posted was quited verbatim from a post in our archives.

Barry Stark wrote:
except that a google search turns on said post from the okiebenz
archives, not from any other list.

Kaleb -
Not trying to start an argument here but the reason that you couldn't find
anything on this from a search of Google was only members of Stu's list have
access to its' archives. Most of the data on this R4 thing that I have seen
has come out through Marshall and as I have said he was at least
contributing regularly to two lists, yours and Stu's. I know that you and
others have issues with Stu and Easley and would like to find a reason to
find fault but in this case I'm afraid you are misinformed. I'm not sure of
the date of the post that you found online but here is one I took from the
archives of Stu's list a little over 4 years ago. There were a number more on the subject but this is the oldest one I could
find in just a couple of minutes of searching. You shouldn't be surprised to
see it involves Marshall. It also has a reference from a list member that he
found similar data on another list yet.

[MB] R4 Air Conditioning Compressor
Graham graham at windjammersails.com Thu Jun 9 19:00:19 MDT 2005 Previous message: [MB] R4 Air Conditioning Compressor Next message: [MB] R4 Air Conditioning Compressor Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]
----

Marshall,

I found this on alt.auto.mercedes:

"A word of advice on buying a replacement compressor:
Any one you get that does NOT come from Mercedes will have the front bearing
cover installed UPSIDE DOWN. Look at the cover on the front behind the
clutch. It will have 4 bolts. Between 2 of the bolts will be an embossed X.
This is the position of the oil hole to lube the front bearing. The R4
compressor was originally designed for GM cars with the compressor mounted
on top of the engine. The X and the inlet/outlet port is UP. Mercedes used
the compressor but rotated it 180 degrees and mounted it under the engine.
This put the ports DOWN. Then they rotated the front cover so the X is UP.
Oil does NOT flow uphill. If you use an aftermarket compressor with the X
down, you will starve the front bearing of oil. It may last a week, a month,
6 months.... depends on the quality of the bearing they put in. "

Here is link to Google Groups:

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.auto.mercedes/browse_thread/thread/8db733d
a96f6ae79/6f27b1d537b97996?q=mercedes+air+compressor+oil+upside+down&rnum=4&
hl=en#6f27b1d537b97996

I have given up on A/C on our 123 for now - Mike Coleman has used a salvage
GM unit - last I heard it was working. The above article does sound
plausible, but how do we find out for sure?

Graham Moss
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320
http://home.cogeco.ca/~photos

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marshall Booth" <mbooth+ at pitt.edu>

Graham wrote:
Marshall,

I have read about this upside down problem on the net and been told this
by
??? (I forget who). I thought that it might explain why aftermarket
compressors last for such a short while.

But then, others dispute that the MB compressors are different.

It would be good if we could get a definitive answer to whether or not
the
MB compressors are installed upside down and if they have an additional
oil
line.
I agree, I have passed omn what I believed to be correct information
from reliables sources. I have NEVER worked on an R-4 system so have NO
1st hand experience. I've been trying to find thwe specific posts
eversince Michael announced it was all hogwash, but haven't yet found
thwe post (I MUST BE using the wrong search terms ;-). I'll get back to
you all as soon as I find out more or confirm what I THINK I know
(knew).

Marshall

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 95 E300, 92 500SEL, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E,
 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D,
 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D, 76 300D,