andrew strasfogel wrote:

> I'm too "old school" to even contemplate devices that purport to suck the
> oil out. Draining it is the only natural way.

But sucking has been the official way for at least 20 years, especially
on the cars with sound encapsulation panels.
There is one vehicle I'm glad I've been draining. A couple of years ago I
drained a 7.3L powerstroke and found a piston cooling nozzle in the drain
pan. I'd like to know what Ford paid for labor to replace that too cheap
little item. They had to pull the engine and pull the pan, then a different
dealer had to pull the engine and replace the pan that was damaged in the
first repair attempt. I even pointed out the prybar dent in the sealing
surface of the pan while they had the engine out, so I was rather upset when
I found out he put the pan back on. Nearly new $35k trucks shouldn't leave
black puddles on the floor.