From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Fmiser
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 18:04
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] IR temp meter

> archer wrote:

> P.S. What's a brand/source for an infrared thermometer?
> Flukes are available for around $100 but I seem to remember a
> discussion about cheaper ones that also worked well.

The good ones have the option to change the emissivity setting.
I have a cheap one, a Raytech minitemp that is preset to 0.95
emissivity only. That means if what I'm pointing it at is not
flat black (to IR), the reading could be off.

A laser guide point can be helpful. Mine does not have that
feature - but I'm usually looking for either the warmest or the
coldest temp so I just move it around until I see a peak or dip.

Mine can switch from F to C with a slide switch next to the
battery.

Oh, distance to spot ratio is another variable. Many of the
small ones are like 4:1 - which means if you want to measure a
small spot you have to get the thermometer close. My Raytech is
10:1, which is pretty decent in my experience.

--    Philip