I just saw the car in the attached picture while out shopping today.
(Forgive the crummy cell-phone camera pic.)

I was going to post it here with a subject line like "Yet another
tacky custom W126" or perhaps "Honey, I blew up the 2.3-16!"  Then I
got closer and noticed that the wheels said "Ronal" on them (knowing
that AMG put Ronal wheels of that type on a lot of the cars they
modified in the early '80s, before they came out with the Monoblock
that looks like a big version of the 300E pancake design).  The side
skirts and wing fit perfectly, with no inconsistent gaps like the
usual aftermarket job.  Inside, it had cloth seats, manual climate
control (two big knobs like a W123 240D), and an air-bag-less steering
wheel with a big AMG logo in the middle!

Now, I know that AMG put out lots of cars in the '80s with strictly a
cosmetic treatment---ground effects and wheels but no performance
modifications to speak of.  And I know there are quite a few
"AMG-ized" poser cars, the Mercedes equivalent of Hondas with
coffee-can mufflers and "Type R" decals, that didn't come out of the
AMG factory at all.  But, who knows, this car could in fact be
something special that slipped through the cracks.  (It does look
suggestively lowered as if it might have a tuned suspension.)  I wish
I could have talked to the owner, but I waited a while and no one
showed up; finally I left a note on the windshield, trying not to
sound too insane.

Alex