We've had this discussion before, but I do not believe that their would be any significant problems in adding a turbo to a non-turbo block, and the engine would last just as long.

The IP can be tuned to provide sufficient fuel, but metering will be slightly less accurate, which might mean slightly more smoke or slightly less power- but not a huge difference.

The piston oil squirters are a good design feature, but they aren't necessary, and probably don't affect engine life much at all if the engine is tuned properly to keep EGTs down- they certainly wouldn't result in "very short" engine life.

The Volvo D24 is a less robust motor than these mercedes motors, but the design differences between the turbo and non-turbo models are similar- yet I've know a few people who added a turbo to the non-turbo motors and experienced no significant problems.

Tyler

Peter Frederick wrote:
While you can just stick a trubo onto a non-turbo engine, you must at least change the IP over as well, along with any necessary running gear.

The rear end ratio is indeed different, as well.

Big problem is that the block is not the same, most especially there are no oil jets to cool the piston tops. Very short engine life will result.

However, the engine will exchange complete with no trouble at all. Swap the diff (and the speedo) and you have a turbo model. If you don't swap the diff, you will get faster acceleration and worse milage..

Peter