Good points, Rusty - I forgot about the deferment.  As long as you work in the
area of instruction, your loan payments are deferred until you hit the end of
the time period.  The big difference is whether or not your loans are
subsidized or unsubsidized.  If they're unsubsidized, the interest continues to
accrue during the deferment period, I believe.

Florida has a similar program as HOPE called "Bright Futures".  It kicked ass,
as all you had to do was have a 3.0 GPA or better and you qualified.  If you
had a 3.0-3.4 you got 75% tuition reimbursement at any state school, 3.5 and
above you got 100%.  Only thing it didn't cover was books.

And I used to listen to these kids in my cohort bitch about paying for
books.....

On an aside, we had a grant that covered a couple of classes plus a nice
stipend on top.  We had to agree to teach in a Title 1 school for two years in
our first five years of teaching.  They never had us sign the contracts, so in
about three more years it will be interesting to see if they try and collect.

Dan