Keep in mind that there is a small processor in the battery pack that "talks"
to any outside connections.  It's the culprit for identifying the condition of
the battery, keeping track of charge/discharge cycles, etc.

Over time this gets out of calibration, which can result in erroneous readings.
 That being the case, the battery can be perfectly fine, but if the controller
says it's not, you're not doing anything with it, like it or not.

On the support page for Mac notebook batteries there is a link to the proper
procedure for recalibration.  I would highly advise that you try this at least
once, and possibly twice if the battery has never been recalibrated.

MacDan