Don't think I related this story before. Please forgive me if I have.

Youger son was driving 98 F-150 with the 4.2 V6 (he got the Maxima that I know
I posted about - so we have the
truck for sale)

In any event, just before he stopped driving it, it produced a check engine
light. Was re-set and did it again.
Code was 1537 or some such #.

That is related to a control that opens butterfly valves in the intake
manifold. The idea is good. It has longer
and shorter runners in the intake. One provides better low speed drivability
and the other better high rpm power.
There are vacuum doodads on the back of the engine that open the butterfly
valves on acceleration over 3K rpm.

The code said one of these was acting up.

Not easy to get to. Tom pulled the upper intake in order to get a look.
Ultimately pulled the lower too and put new
gaskets in as these tend to leak coolant into a cylinder and destroy themselves
when one tries to crank them to
life.

The problem with the vacuum doodad was not the doodad, but was the linkage that
connects it to the butterfly
valves. A little plastic or nylon connector had broken and let the metal link
fall out. Sounds simple.

Tom called local parts store and they said "dealer item".

So, he ran over to the dealer, and they told him, no parts available. One must
buy the whole intake manifold for
$1200.

He is an apprentice mechanic so he waited until he went in to work on Monday
and looked through some catalogues
that they have and found the little doodads were available. Got a half dozen of
them for $6.

Put it back together and it runs fine.

Lord knows what it would have cost to have it done in a garage.

Randy