I could bypass the relay, just put a manual switch in there. The starter might not take the voltage spike though? Would not want to resort to hand cranking. Might have to do some rewiring to get everything happy again.

Fuel can be stockpiled (there was a guy in the woodworkers club who was some kind of fringe religion member, he had about 1000gal of diesel in a tote for the Y2K apocalypse that never happened) or can be made, or just run veggie oil.

--R