The glow plugs can be started by directly jumping them- connect a jumper cable between the battery and terminal on the relay, and then start the engine.

I really doubt that the starter or battery would be affected by an EMP pulse.

My 190DT would probably lose it's idle control computer as well as climate control and many of the gauges, but it should still run and drive fine.

Tyler

Rich Thomas wrote:
I could bypass the relay, just put a manual switch in there. The starter might not take the voltage spike though? Would not want to resort to hand cranking. Might have to do some rewiring to get everything happy again.

Fuel can be stockpiled (there was a guy in the woodworkers club who was some kind of fringe religion member, he had about 1000gal of diesel in a tote for the Y2K apocalypse that never happened) or can be made, or just run veggie oil.

--R