Poodles:

Were originally bred for hunting and retrieving in water. They have web feet for swimming. The hair cuts actually reflect their hunting roots -- the poofs on heads and feet hold air in their dense hair (like people hair, yes it needs to be cut every 6-8 weeks) so that they could swim better. Some people have taken it to ridiculous extremes, but the dogs don't seem to care. They are somewhat painful to maintain if the dogs like getting out in things as you have to brush them out and keep them from getting matted up. Their head poofs will turn into nappy dreads pretty quickly.

Poodles are quite smart, some in devious ways, some in more laid-back ways. They are definitely not frou-frou, and can hold their own quite well with any other dogs.

I have a black 76 Eldo convertible that the dogs love to ride in (and people like to see them in it). Maybe in Florida you need a white Caddy, but then you also have to get a small poodle, not a standard. We call those little ones "snacks" but they exhibit the same intelligence as the big ones, just kinda yappy.

Labradoodles need hair cuts too.

--R (who has 3 standard poodles now, a red female Sadie about 40 lb, with very strong hunting instincts, keeps the 2 80 lb phantom boys Merlin and Guinness in line, and spanks them when they get out of line, and who had a black female Molly and a parti male Marley die on us, sadly)

Dillon, Meade M CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC, 53310 wrote:
Does a Labradoodle need frequent haircuts like a poodle?

I've only met one standard poodle in my life, and he really impressed me
to the point that my next dog, if I ever get a dog, will probably be a
poodle.  His haircut was kind of angular, Japanese-cartoon inspired, and
made him look very muscular.  He was extremely smart, calm, and
no-nonsense.  Friendly but in a very reserved sort-of way.  The only
thing that turned me off was the need for regular haircuts and
associated cost.  I guess I could learn to cut poodle hair and save some
$.

Max