I wrote some software to manage the local impound lot a while back.
Tow truck drivers often demand payment in cash before they unhook your
vehicle. No checks, no credit cards. If you don't have the cash, they
take it to the impound lot. A 100 mile tow cost just shy of $600 at
the time with impound fees on top of that. Even when traveling I don't
carry that much cash around. It's great that State Farm will reimburse
you - after the impound lot opens Monday morning.

I have AAA with extended towing.

-Dave Walton