Good Deal!

Max

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of OK Don
Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2009 7:25 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] BAD 300D 2.5T

I finally got to work on this car today - I started with checking the
cam timing, since it has 337k miles, and I wanted to see what the chain
stretch was anyway. Everything looked good, no wear apparent on the cam
nor the followers, and the stretch was just under 3 degrees, I'd say
2.8, best I can tell. While I had the induction tube off, I saw that the
injector lines were not clamped as they should be. The line to #1 had
been lying on top of the line to #2, which had been rubbing on the
bottom of the charge tube. I bent the lines back close to where they
should have been (it's great to have a reference car/engine!), happened
to have some new plastic clamps to keep them from vibrating, so got them
secured. the #1 and #2 tubes look like they are worn at least half way
through - I'll be watching for another set, just in case they break.
Otherwise, I didn't see anything wrong here.

The primary fuel filter looked black, (was clear when new), so I changed
both filters. The primary filter had a dark film over most of the
inside, with several black rod shaped pieces of junk (bacteria?).
approx. a 1/16th "
long, very fine.

Started the engine with the new filters in place, and it ran normally.
Took it for a test drive - it ran up to 4700 rpm in second, and a little
over 80 mph in third before shifting (didn't notice the rpm). Ran
smooth, no smoke, lots of power.
I would not have guessed that fuel starvation could have caused the
symptoms I experienced, and the sudden on-set.

Live and learn!

> I'd start with the fuel filters, air leaks into fuel system, verify no

> gasoline (or water) in the tank, then move to the more complex like
EGR.