That sounds like an interesting book, I think I might look for a copy. I've been obsessed with reading every sailing adventure book I can find recently.

The W201factory towing package would be quite a nice setup! Did he use it for towing sailboats? I've toyed with the idea of towing my sailboat with my '87 190DT- but I think the car is just too light, and too short of a wheelbase to do it safely. The OM602 turbo engine on the other hand would be awesome for towing, if it were installed in a small truck for example. I did find an old post from Marshall saying his 190DT could tow 1500 kg (3300lbs).

I also haven't been able to find for sale anywhere a heavy duty hitch for a W201. The best I've been able to find are flimsy class I hitches, while I've been able to find a class III for my Volvo.

Tyler

Mitch Haley wrote:
tyler wrote:
Sweet, it sounds like a lot of people on here are also into sailing.

Ron Dwelle isn't around here any more, but he writes books on the subject.
http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Studies-Ron-Dwelle/dp/0738839728

Last I knew, Ron had a euro W201 2.5NA with factory towing package, including the hitch, SLS, etc. His cruising yacht is of course not trailerable. I should try to keep in touch with him. If that car ever gets wrecked, the SLS and towing components would be worth a lot to a guy like me, and Ron only lives about 75 miles away.

Mitch.