Dillon, Meade M CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC, 53310 wrote:
Common wisdom says to use four winter tires, never two.

Two rears don't work as well as four, but they aren't 'unsafe at any speed', like two fronts would be. Growing up, all the family RWD vehicles had two snow tires on them, but never a spectacular loss of control.

I went one winter with two fronts on a FWD, spun the car twice. Fortunately, both times were making a turn from a stop sign, so I just spun around in the middle of an empty intersection, ended up pointing the wrong way and looked like an idiot. Next winter those tires went to the back and I bought two new ones for the front.

Mitch.