-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Jim Cathey
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:59 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Low power, stalling issues: '87 300TD

>Cold enough to gell fuel?

45 deg F, so I don't think that is it.

>Gasoline in the tank?

Not likely, unless the diesel pump at last station was connected to
contaminated tank.  However, I had 400 miles on the tank with no
symptoms.

>Those are outside chances.  Clogged fuel filters and/or air leaking
into >the fuel system are at the top of the list, assuming that the tank
wasn't >actually empty.  Clogged tank strainer is also on the list.

Air leak is a good thought, but would it get better and worse?  I can
imagine a leak can change with temperature, but it started and ran fine
for 10 minutes when cold, then suddenly got worse, got a fresh tank of
fuel and was better but not 100%.

If the fuel filter doesn't do it, I'll swap the supply/return lines to
test the strainer.

Max