Some former science teacher in Maine designed this one from various sources he says, posted it on instructables and Make highlighted it (this is an outdoor one, the one you are thinking of is for indoors). My antenna was a POS anyway, and it got whacked by a tree branch a coupla weeks ago, so it went from bad to worse. I figured with a few bucks worth of materials and junk I have laying around I could make a couple (he ganged 2, I'm gonna try that too) and see if they did any good out here in the woods.

The hardware cloth is a reflector, and bending the fingers forward apparently lines them up with the angled reflector. I think antennas are all magic anyway, but I'll give it a try. When I get the other one sorted out I'll put them on the roof and see what happens.

--R

Dieselhead wrote:
Looks like an enhanced version of the Makezine one. What is the theory/reason for the hardware cloth on the back? I don't recall the makezine one calling for the coathanger sections to be bent forward. Does that help?