I think the basis of these antennas is very broadband reception. Varying the
distances from the elements to the reflector helps it "tune" across a wider
frequency range (as does the V shape of the elements).
 The above is another examle of theory following design!

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Dillon, Meade M CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC,
53310 <meade.m.dil...@navy.mil> wrote:

> I had a semester of antenna design in college.  What I learned was that
> most successful designs were found by trial and error, and the theory to
> explain why they worked generally followed. The math in that class was
> too much for me, and I was happy to get a D (for degree!) and move on to
> something more suited to my lack of higher math skills...
>
> Max

OK Don
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as
distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with
others.
The Devil's Dictionary
Ambrose Bierce