I changed the main filter today, drove to the boat store to get some biocide, and it ran fine. Main filter had lots of black crap in the fuel that was in there. INline filter looked like it was getting black, I'll keep an eye on it. I am guessing that more will come out with the biocide treatment. Tank is down to a 1/4 or less, so I will drive it until it gets pretty low then see if I can get the rest out with a pump, then pull the tank and the filter and all that. PITA.

--R

Mountain Man wrote:
--R wrote:
 So it appears that I need to drain the tank, remove it, and then do
whatever to check if it is full of crap, change the filter, etc.

The W123 screen is barely accessible from underneath - the half shaft
is directly in the way.
I might suggest you price a new screen as the W123 screen was not many
dollars and kept the job a bit easy.  It needs a 42mm socket - but
then the half shaft was in the way - so we used an impact chisel to
drive it loose.  Don't underestimate the amount of fuel that will be
behind that clogged screen - the screen could seep for months before
you might decide to drive it out from the tank and you still might get
soaked in fuel.  Perhaps pressurize the tank from the fill tube to
drive fuel thru the clogged screen?
mao