From: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 08:44:53
To: Diesel List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Choice of brake rotor and pads

Depends on how much you love the car and what kind of driving you do I think.
I did my 240D just over a year and just under 9,000 miles ago with PBR rotors
and the cheapest pads (PBR I think) Rusty had. We're talking about a car I paid
$400 for so I kept everything on the cheap. I drive mostly highway so my brakes
tend to last (90,000 on the 190D and counting) and I can report zero problems
with the brakes over the last year. Lately (last 2-3 months) I've been driving
the 240D much more so I'll start to get a better idea on how they wear.

If it were a car I was going to keep I'd spring the extra money for Akebono,
looks to be ~$30 extra over Pagid for your car. I put Akebono on my Ranger and
can already see a dramatic difference in the amount of brake dust. I haven't
bothered to clean the wheels but I can see where rainwater is washing away the
old dust in streaks and no new dust is developing.

I think Hursty said Texar and Pagid are the same company now and probably the
same pads marketed under different names...

-Curt