The question, "How big of a generator do I need to run my house?" is one we get
every day.

There are so many variables that come into play here that there is no "typical"
response.  It all boils down to what you consider critical loads.

What usually happens when someone asks us this is we give them a number for a
generator that would literally run everything in the house, which for the
typical suburban home might be a 30kW or 40kW unit.  When they find out how
much it's going to cost, it's suddenly not so important to be able to run the
stove or clothes dryer during a power outage (those two combined could easily
be 10kW of load.)

Generac (one of our suppliers) has done a good job marketing to the home
standby market, and makes a pretty decent product.  They start out at 8kW and
go up to 17kW in size with their home standby product.  These are sold through
big box home improvement stores under a number of different brand names, all
being the same product but called something different to differentiate between
the retailer selling it.  Guardian (Home Depot) is one, WatchDog (Menards)
another, etc., etc.

We sell a fair number of 12kW units, which seem to be more than adequate for
most homes around here.  That will easily run a sump pump, air handler for a
gas furnace, and leave some additional capacity for lighting and maybe a
microwave or other small appliances.  They run on natural gas or propane, and
come with a very basic automatic transfer switch.

Don't quote me, but I think you're looking at around $3k for one of these
systems, not including installation.

I have a 25kW natural gas unit that will pretty much run everything in the
house with the exception of the dryer and major kitchen appliances
(oven/cooktop.)  I don't have my AC on it (5 ton unit) but there's a good
possibility that it would carry that as well if I put a "boost" capacitor on
the compressor motor.  I'm not worried about AC at this point.

I've prattled on enough for now.  If anyone has specific questions about
generators, drop me a note off-list.

Dan