On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 06:06:56 -0800 (PST) LWB250 <lwb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Keep in mind that horsepower ratings are based on a particular point on
> the torque/horsepower curve - and speed.  I'm willing to bet that this
> alternator is designed to run at 1800 rpm, so check the horsepower curve
> on the engine at that speed - I'll bet you don't have 66hp, or even
> enough to adequately power the alternator to nameplate rating.

This was exactly the problem I had when I designed our Chevette engine
powered, propane fired 4 kW genset. I had difficulty in finding
information on engines running on gasoline at sea level let a lone on
propane at 7000'. I ended up choosing the Chevette engine based on what
little information I had and was concerned it wouldn't work well (the
engine runs at 1720 rpm with a belt drive to the 2-pole generator turning
at 3600 rpm). When I got everything together and running, I found it has
more than enough power. I even thought of bolting our Kato Kamag 14
generator on the frame.

> Keep this in mind when considering an engine to mate up with an
> alternator:
>
> HP x 0.746 = kW
>
> Also, you need to have some reserve power for when those large loads hit
> it, so you need to add some additional power on top of that....

The humongous flywheel I put in helps greatly with that and also smooths
out the torque impulses from the 4-banger. And don't forget the generator
isn't 100% efficient and there are bearing and other losses in the system.

Craig