I've been using MyDefrag(formerly JKDefrag) for the past few years,
never had any issue with it and it works great. It's free, expandable,
and you can set it to do an optimizing restructuring of the data(moves
frequently used files and startup files around to gain better
performance, instead of just compacting them wherever and causing
unecisary disk seek)
One of my favorite features is the screensaver defrag, you just set it
and forget it, and whenever your screensaver kicks in it starts a
defrag, and once the screensaver stops it pauses and resumes later
when it kicks in again. Once it's completed, it waits another 24 hours
before starting another cycle.

I'd suggest to run the "monthly defrag" option first, and have the
scheduled weekly defrag and the screensaver based daily one to
maintain.

It uses the Microsoft approved functions to defrag so it's just as
safe to run as the MS one.

You can get it at http://www.mydefrag.com

My $0.02

Walt