"Best way to defragment a Windows drive is to wipe it and install Linux.  ;)"

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree on that one. It also solves that nagging
"buy the latest version" bug that most Microsoft products seem to
have...

Not sure why NTFS likes to fragment, but on my dad's xp laptop it got
so bad the drive started doing the ten minute boot-up boogie from all
the seeking.

That's one of the nice things about ext2/3 filesystems, they never
needs a defrag. :D

What nix distro(s) do you run?

Walt