Dieselvolk,

While inspecting my '87 300TD voltage regulator, I took a look around to
see what else looked like a problem, and noticed a good bit of oil on
the bottom of the intake side of the turbo.  Related to this I believe,
I've got oil seeping from around the plug for the breather tube coming
from the top of the valve cover, and also there's a good bit of oil
seeping from under the edge of the valve cover.  There's also oil
seeping from the intake manifold at one of the connections for the
over-boost protection switch (or that area anyway).

To me, all these point to excessive blow-by, and I conclude that the oil
consumption (~1 qt / 3000 miles) is probably mostly due to this blow-by,
or the oil is being burned after it gets by the rings.

Could this also be bad valve seals?  I know it could also be a bad
turbo.

Very respectfully,
/s/
Max Dillon