From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of E M
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 4:36 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 1993 400sel?

I looked at several a couple of years ago, but the 500, not the 400.  I
think all 400s were SE if not mistaken, but I could be wrong.  For the same
money, I'd go for a 500 myself.

I'm not sure about eating money after 100,000 miles, they were a pretty
hungry car from the start, to maintain "properly".  If certain things go,
they are expensive to fix, both due to how certain things are designed, how
much you have to dig to get to them, and also, it was Mercedes flagship car,
so running one cheap, was not at the top of their list when designing it.

Over the years, several models were offered with fewer standard options, and
a few things were "dumbed down" for the market.  Early cars had higher
performance from the tires, but ppl complained about the cost, and short
life.  You can't have a 2 tonne car, great cornering, and tires that last
50,000 miles.

As for holding their value, well, ha ha ha.  Look at the asking price of the
car you're looking at, and then look up what it cost new.  There's you're
answer. ;-)  Had you bought a V12 new, the pain would be that much worse if
you were selling!

Many won't agree, but I think it was one of the best sedans Mercedes ever
built.  Find the best one you can, and pay for it.  The difference in the
market between great and crap isn't big enough to buy anything other than
great.  Even then, keep some money aside for repairs, they are a complex
car. And, records AND a PPI really are a must with these cars, in my
opinion.

Good luck with your search.

Ed
300E