The problem with the W140 is not mechanical, it's electronic. Self- igniting climate control, engine control (one box, does everything) and flaky wiring that fires the above again, make this a bad choice.

Owners were dumping them the day the extended warrenty ran out, because they had already had the climate control, engine computer, and window computer (yes, the windows have a computer, and the dealer has to program replacement window motors) had all died during the original warrenty period at least once, often twice, to the tune of $10,000 or so. Fine if Benz is eating it, but not a pleasant prospect for someone who actually owns the car.

Later ones are better than earlier ones, in spite of the better build quality of the first ones, but remember, this isn't mechanical, it's computers that fry and cannot be repaired.

I know several people who would gladly sell me one cheap for this reason, but I'm not rich enough to drop $5000 to get the stinking thing to start.

Peter