OK - perhaps I was thinking of another homebrew injection system - it did
squirt at the same place the CIS injectors do, right above the intake valve.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net>wrote:

> No, it won't.  There is little or no benefit to pulsed injection unless
> it's into the cylinder, as Bosch discovered in the 70's.  Hence the CIS --
> mechanical, hence reliable, and accurate.  Too accurate, in fact -- there is
> no sudden throttle opening enrichment.
>
> Benz stopped using it mostly because the  US EPA insisted that each
> cylinder firing event be completely controlled, even though there is no way
> to tell -- even if you had an O2 sensor at each exhaust valve, they do not
> respond fast enough to tell if a cylinder has fired or not.  The purpose is
> to shut off fuel to a non-functioning cylinder, but no one does this.
>  Stupid.
>
> Anyway,  a MegaSquirt on a Benz designed for point injection will suffer
> from the same problems as a carb (since it's exactly the same thing -- spray
> gasoline into the air flow remote from the cylinders):  the manifolds have
> both a number of turns and turbulent, not laminar, flow.  The gasoline gets
> thrown out of suspension as the air goes down into the bottom chamber,
> swirls around, then goes up and over and down into the intake valve.  Works
> wonderfully for point injection, since all cylinders get the same air flow
> on average, but works like crap with a carb -- almost impossible to start,
> for one thing, since it takes a LONG time to suck enough fuel mist through
> the manifold to get it to light.  Pump the accelerator pump and you end up
> with a puddle fo fuel on the bottom of the lower manifold half, nowhere near
> the cylinders.  Terrible mixture control, and serious drivability problems.
>  I've seen a conversion to a Holley 4-barrel -- worthless.  Car was towed
> into the shop for refit to a normal CIS.
>
> Peter

OK Don
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as
distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with
others.
The Devil's Dictionary
Ambrose Bierce