-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Craig McCluskey
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:58 PM
To: Mercedes mailing list
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Terminal population

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:17:39 -0500 "Potter, Tom  E"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That was the theory of Thomas Malthus. The industrial revolution
> disrupted his theory as I remember from my studies (Specifically,
> mechanized farming allowed more food to be grown). That is the problem
> with any equation that we develop to determine population load, we
> cannot foresee what changes future technology will have on the
capacity
> of the Earth to sustain a population.
>
> http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/malthus/malthus.0.html

Yes, how wrong Malthus had it!

In addition, we humans are limiting our population ourselves without
having to rely on any Malthusian causes. The world population will peak
out about mid-century and then drop because societies are not
reproducing
at replacement rate. This is already a big problem in Germany and Italy.

Craig