Max Dillon wrote:

I think the NEC now requires them for bathrooms, kitchen, outside
receptacles, and garage.  I don't have them in garage, maybe I'll get a
two-pack and install in my garage.  Need to figure out which receptacle is
furthest upstream.

That sounds about right, but I hadn't heard of the garage part before. 20 years ago it was bathroom and outdoor, we solved that by putting GFCIs in my parents' bathrooms and wiring the outside outlets to them.

I think GFCIs belong on switched outlets, because the suckers waste electricity.
Switch them off when not in use and you get rid of the phantom load and increase safety. (I'm not sure how the NEC regards switched outlets these days, but they used to be fairly common)

Too bad my microwave, which has no time of day based functions other than the clock display, gets highly upset whenever you cut the power and it doesn't know what time it is.

Mitch.