I bought a year or so ago an Acer Aspite One ZG5 for just under $ 200
(refurbished). Great little thing to have on the coffee table.
10" screen, Win XP Pro SP3, onboard wireless, 140 Gig HDD, 2 SD card slots,
3 USB ports, Ethernet and VGA ports,NO CD drives though. OS on HDD partition
for repait/re-install (Acer eRecovery).

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 7:29 AM, dave walton <walton.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks much for the info.
>
> I use a Mini-ITX desktop to run Windows Media Center. It's about the
> size of a toaster. Has a Zotac MB with Atom dual core CPU. That's
> 1.6Ghz with Nvidia Ion video. Plays Blu-Ray and HDTV smoothly at 1080.
> I tested a single core Atom computer (FitPC2), but it stuttered just a
> bit when running at 1080. Did 720 okay. This computer uses less than
> 1/3rd the power of my quad-core AMD and the video is smoother.
>
> The Fit PC is way cool. It does tent to get too warm in my opinion
> because of the hard drive. SSD would probably be ideal but is too
> pricey for me to play with right now.
>
> http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
>
> -Dave Walton
>
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Alex Chamberlain
> <apchamberl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Are those $299 netbook things any good?
> >
> > I love the two netbooks in my house (Dell Vostro and Asus Eee) for web
> > browsing.  They are as fast as anything else with a lightweight Linux
> > distro (Mint, Puppy, etc.).  Forget about serious typing with those
> > little keyboards, though.
> >
> > For the original poster (Dave W.), I'm going to take the contrarian
> > view from everyone else here and suggest a refurbished IBM Thinkpad.
> > Beautiful big screen, plenty fast enough, will probably come with XP
> > Pro installed but they're very Linux-friendly so it shouldn't be a
> > hassle at all to put Ubuntu on it if you want.  Most importantly they
> > are built like tanks and so are more likely than any new $300 laptop
> > to survive repeated trips through the mail.
> >
> > Alex

Hans Neureiter, Houston, TX
'82 300SD
'02 RoadKing