Thats an oil separator.  It filters the oil from the ventilation off the
valve cover and drains in back into the oil pan, if I remember correctly.  I
remember replacing in on my '82 240D back in college.  I bought it at the
dealer I think, and it wasn't expensive.  This isn't the kind of thing you
want to buy used.

Jaime