Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 11:25:59 -0800
From: ernest breakfield <erne...@backyardengineering.org>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: [MBZ] running temps in the cold? (was: Re:  glowing in the
    cold)

only slightly related; what kind of operating temps are you guys that
live in real cold seeing?

    here where temps rarely get much below the 20s-40s this time of
year, i still don't often see the coolant temp indicate anything above
80C until it's been on the highway at speed/load for many miles. (i've
already played with changing out the thermostat to units i've verified
are opening at the proper temps.) i'm sure this is exacerbated by the
fact that we're running almost pure BioDiesel almost all of the time as
we can see the temps come up quicker and higher when we have to run #2
instead of B99 on road trips, but i can run around town all day and
never see the coolant reach the normal area on the gauge even when temps
are into the 50s and higher. FWIW, the car starts fine on a single glow
cycle, but (no surprise!) definitely runs stronger when warm.

    i know some veteran diesel-heads used to be seen with radiators
shrouded or grills even completely blocked in the cold to keep temps up
where they're supposed to be; what are the thoughts regarding doing this
with a 617 turbo-diesel?

cheers!

'85 300D (~187K)
Berkeley, CA