Curt:

Assume you are totally lactose intolerant and cut out all lactose containing substances. I've personally come to the conclusion that acid reflux isn't an acid production problem, per se, but a gastric propulsion problem (vapor lock, sort of) as a result of improper fermentation of gut contents. Easy to acquire a set of gut bacteria that cheerfully ferment complex sugars into lots of gas, very fast. This won't move with normal gut activity, and so stomach contractions push the contents up the esophagus instead of down the small intestine.

Acid reducers help by suppressing the fermentation via higher pH in the intestines, but the real cause is the fermentation.

Gas-X helps a lot, since it breaks up the foam from the intestinal gas, so does avoiding un-fermented milk products of any kind. This includes commercial bread products and ANYTHING with milk in it (read labels). Anything with lactose added is bad, too, and it's quite common and not always labeled completely.

In my case, eating less also helps, if I can stick to it.....

Peter