Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:17:26 -0500
From: "archer" <arche...@embarqmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Axle shaft replacement - was: Frankenheap weldery

From: "Mitch Haley" <m...@voyager.net>
> Gerry, the alignment marks should be between the two halves of the
> driveshaft
> (where you loosen the big nut and slide it apart). Those splines must be
> realigned properly when the shaft is reassembled. If you're swapping
> diffs, you
> should be able to unbolt the flex disk from the back of the driveshaft,
> swap
> diffs, and bolt the new flex disk to the back of the driveshaft without
> any
> problem.
> Mitch.
I just want to replace the diff, Mitch.  That middle universal ought to let
me drop the diff low enough to slide the diffs out and in and then bolt the
drive shaft back to the rubber universal.  I was just wondering if there
were alignment marks on the rubber joint and one of the three prongs on the
drive shaft.  Someone said there was some time ago IIRC.
Gerry Archer
'83 300D and 240D